Labor Day Dinner!!

It's official (because I said so) ...I can cook!! I made my Grandma's Shrimp Jambalaya and The Pioneer Woman's Caramel Pumpkin Gingersnap Cheesecake (p.s. She just released her cookbook! I must have it!! AND I just saw that she is having a book signing on Nov 21 in Minneapolis...thinking of a way to talk the Farmer into this right now as I type!!!).

Both recipes turned out FANTASTIC!! Yea!! The Farmer is already asking for Gumbo...it is actually my fave, so I think I might just grant him that wish :)

Ok! So here is the Shrimp Jambalaya Recipe! I hope it's not some extra special family secret!!! :)

SHRIMP JAMBALAYA

1 lb peeled and de-veined shrimp (I just used cooked, frozen mini shrimp)
4 cups cooked rice
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon sugar
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chopped onions
2 cups water
½ cup chopped celery
½ cup chopped bell pepper
1 cup oil
½ teaspoon cornstarch
½ cup chopped green onions
Salt, black pepper and Cayenne(red pepper) to taste

Cook rice separately.
Chop shrimp and set aside. In a heavy pot, place oil and add onions, celery, bell pepper and garlic. Cook uncovered over medium heat until onions are wilted. Add tomato paste and cook stirring constantly for about 15 minutes. Add 1 ½ cups water. Season to taste with salt, black pepper and Cayenne. Add sugar and cook uncovered over medium heat for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally or until oil floats to the top. Add shrimp; continue cooking and stirring another 20 minutes. Dissolve cornstarch in ½ cup water and add; cook another 5 minutes. Mix ingredients with cooked rice; add green onion tops. Mix again. Serves 8 as a side dish.


The first step....the whole "stir constantly" part was no fun!
This looks like Spaghetti O's, but I assure you it's just the little shrimpies!!

MMMMMM...smells so good and taste even better!

We had the Farmer's Momma and Daddy over to try it out and they loved it too!!



Now on to dessert! Click here for the recipe and really fabulous pics of the whole process! I think mine turned out perfectly!! The recipe calls for a 10 inch spring form pan, since mine is a 9 inch, I just put the leftover in my ramekins (boy, I'm using them alot!). I ate one of these little gooey goodnesses this morning (gasp) yes, for breakfast!! And it was DELICIOUS!!! MMMMMmmmm Good :)
Other than having too much filling, I just followed her recipe...I got to use some fun wedding gifts I hadn't used yet; Food Processor (thanks Mariah!), Spring Form Pan (Thanks Raylee!) Off Set Spatula (Thanks Everybody form my Pampered Chef Shower!!) Ohh and I used my Pampered Chef Rice Cooker for the Jambalaya (thanks Momma!!)
Now without further adieu...here is the Cheesecake!!


Cooling....



headed into the fridge!!



I can't belive the crust turned out soo pretty!!



My mouth is watering just looking at this...maybe I can just sneak another piece for a morning snack!!
;)




No comments